Friday, December 20, 2013

Bandsaw delivered


I spent most of Friday clearing a space for the bandsaw in the shop.  The lathe was placed a little too close to the doorway so it had to be moved back a bit.  I got some 3/4" black pipe (bought 3 10' pieces at Home Depot and had them cut each in half - so I have 6 5' pieces) and placed them on the floor to use as rollers for the heavy machines.  After cleaning the garage a bit i was able to use the tractor forks to help lift the lathe up onto the blackpipe rollers.  The forks couldn't lift the lathe really, but took enough weight off so that I could use a prybar to work the lathe pallet onto the pipes.

The UPS delivery guy finally got here about 4:30pm on Friday.  He had to call several times to get directions.  He pulled up out front with a full sized tractor trailer.  I took the tractor down to the road and used the forks to lift the bandsaw out of the truck and haul it back to the shop.  The bandsaw seems so small compared to the lathe and milling machine!  I had to move the forks in close together so that I could engage the bandsaw pallet.  Was a bit nervous moving the bandsaw on the forks since the bandsaw is so tall and thin.  I went very slow and didn't make any quick moves taking it from the road and into the shop.

Here is a picture of the bandsaw as it was Friday evening on the shop floor:




No comments:

Post a Comment