Friday, April 25, 2014

Progress on the raised beds at the "city house"

I prepped the last 2 of the raised beds at the "city house".    I didn't plant anything in the middle bed right away - I am reserving most of it for the peppers!   I did plant some more Spinach in the front end of it though; Katherine likes her spinach and I wasn't growing any!  The spinach in the first, little bed, doesn't look like its doing anything.  I re-planted some in the little patch, but thought I better hedge my bets by planting more in the middle patch.   While I was at the replanting of the spinach, I went ahead and "transplanted" some of the kale, collards, mustard and even cucumbers!  There were multiples coming up in some hills while other hills had none, so I evened things up where I could.  I don't know how well they will transplant, but I thought it was worth a try - especially since we are going to be getting rain for the next couple days.

Here is a video describing the onions I planted in the far left bed:


Here are some pics of the beds:

Final, "left" bed, ready to plant!


I put in some onion (yellow) sets (and 3 cloves of garlic!)

This is the middle bed, ready to plant - saving this for peppers and greens rotation.


The first, narrow bed, plants are starting up!

The narrow bed, some plants are seen here, but they are patchy.

Narrow bed, spinach doesn't seem to have caught on.  Hmm

The far right bed with row cover on it.  I saw squirrels and birds in it and noticed that several of the new plants had been snipped off!  I put the row cover on, but still noticed a squirrel trying to get in and messing with the cover!
Here is a video I made to document the locations of the plants:


NOTE: I have taken the row cover off of the far right bed because I am afraid that the heavy rain they are predicting may cause the cover to crush the plants.  Fingers crossed that the squirrels don't destroy it!


No comments:

Post a Comment