Thursday, September 18, 2014

A piano, tomato sauce and kale

Kale for dinner


Last night we harvested a bunch of kale and actually ATE IT! LOL.  I think it was the first time this YEAR that we ate any kale directly as a green for dinner.  We braised it like usual.  It was delicious.  Cooked with our own potatoes and used our tomato liquid from last years canning instead of chicken broth! :)

Tomato Sauce Canned


Katherine processed the tomatoes that I brought back last weekend into a thick sauce.  This time she canned in the pint and a half wide mouth jars.  Here is a picture:



Sauerkraut


I checked the sauerkraut - it smells ok.  I think that the large batch is ready to can.  I am concerned about the smaller batch fermenting correctly  The cabbage was so dry that there still isn't water over the top of the cabbage.  I didn't see any mold in either though so i am going to let them go another week.

I am thinking of other ways of using the cabbage instead of sauerkraut since we don't seem to be using the sauerkraut that we have.  I did see a recipe for canned "un-rolled" cabbage rolls that looks good.  I may try that.

Hot Water-heater issues?


Katherine pointed out some vibrating pipes this morning near the hot water heater downstairs.  I did some research online and tried a few things - flushed all the toilets, lowered the temp in the heater (I should have done that long ago - it was way too hot!), but the pipes still were vibrating.  I decided to go ahead and purge the water heater.  I read the manual and proceeded.  It was pretty straight forward.  So far so good, no more vibrations observed today anyway.  I keep going down to check though, just in case.


Piano delivery!

Katherine has arranged for movers to deliver her piano today.  She and Ken prepared a spot for it downstairs last weekend,  Katherine got this piano from Ken's mom who is moving to Frederick soon.  

The movers!

In place!



With Ken Sherrfey, the original user



No comments:

Post a Comment