Tuesday, November 11, 2014

Funeral and lots of work

Funeral


Aunt Reva passed away Wednesday.  She was 90 years old.   We took mom to the funeral on Monday and stayed for the wake.  I already had Tuesday off, but I did make arrangements at work (since I am still acting TA) to take Monday off for the funeral.  Was good to see some of my cousins again.  Some of them I don't think I had ever met before.  Joe Smith was there, I don't recall ever seeing him before.  He lives in Colorado now.  He came in Saturday for viewing and funeral.  The funeral and afterword pretty much ate up my Monday.


Front drainage tile installed!


I finally got the front drainage tile installed!  I have had the front yard dug up for almost a year now, so it was about time to finish it!  I really needed the backhoe for this job.  As you saw in a previous post, I dug the rest of the drain line a couple weekends ago, but this weekend (Sunday) I dug out the line from the house to the drain line (there are 2 connections from the downspouts and sump pumps to the drain line - one at each end of the house).   I put the tile in and placed some fittings to try to work out if I needed anything else - I did!  I needed more tile!  I wanted to get 2x20 ft lengths, but TSC only had 100ft lengths.  I also bought some work gloves, an outdoor thermometer, and 9 fiberglass electric fence posts.  More on the fence later.   So here are the pictures of the project:

After using the backhoe to dig the ditch for the far end of the house.

Connecting up the sump and the downspout
All set up to start backfill!  

Looking out toward the far end of the house

Looking down from the corner toward the "Y"

The "Y" joining the two sides of  the drains

Looking toward the end of the drain line

After back-filling on Monday morning

Looking up toward the house.
After Monday morning - looking down to the end of the drain

Finally all done!  Looking down to the drain end





Smokey is checking it all out!




Last of the Veggies?



I got down to the paw-paw patch before I left and harvested some Brussels sprouts!


Only 2 of the 4 plants seemed to have any on them

This is cool - this and one other came off of an early plant that had sprouted out!

And still more broccoli!  Fantastic!  I think I might have harvested a couple pounds.  They are smallish heads, but they seem tender and I ate one and they taste good!


Sauerkraut canning



We got up to the farm afternoon on Saturday (I had to be in at work Friday because I am acting TA so I wasn't able to head out early - and its too dark now to head out afterwork Friday!)   The ground was a bit wet so I didn't think it would be a good idea to start work in the drainage project.  I did see some electric fence down due to deer damage, but there is really nothing for the deer to harm inside the fences so i let the fence repair wait until later.  I checked the kraut and found a scum on the top and I freaked a little bit - BUT... it was fine, not mold, I think, but smelled like the kraut.   I cleaned off the scum and proceeded to can the kraut!  Woohoo - 19 quarts of kraut from 41 lbs of cabbage!  Nice!




Deer fencing issues


I found the fence around the elderberries torn up a bit, but not too bad.  Had to replace a couple of posts, but all in all a quick and complete repair.  However, the fence over by the grapes and orchard was in bad shape.  The wire was actually broken!  I bet some deer got caught in it and freaked out when he got shocked.   Bedsides the broken wire, there were several posts broken and the new fiberglass posts that I had just installed a couple weeks ago had the insulators/wire holders torn off!  The fiberglass posts fared better than the original posts though.   I decided to change the outline of the fence a little bit to surround the grape vines as well (and maybe make it a little easier to mow).  I needed more electric fence posts which I picked up Sunday morning on our trip to TSC.  I had to re-arrange the wires a bit so they wouldn't short out on the metal parts, but it is working now.  All the fences are back on.  I do, however, need more deer-pops now!  Sorry. I didn't get pictures, but its really not that exciting. :)


No comments:

Post a Comment