Sunday, November 8, 2015

Gettysburg, backhoe, grape mulching and, leaf collection

Gettysburg


I headed straight from a business meeting in Gettysburg, PA (where I stayed in the very hotel Lincoln stayed in!) to the farm late Friday.





Starting and moving the backhoe


Well, I finally got up the nerve (and found the time) to move the backhoe!  I, of course, forgot which pedal moved it forward an reverse so I backed it into the back wall of the garage.  It pushed out a few screws but its basically still intact.  I don't think I will need to fix the problem.


A bit of a bulge!

Popped the head of a couple of the sheet metal screws holding the siding on the garage.

The pile of wood on the forks (left) is for the woodshed door (or wall, depending on what I decide) . That's all milled by me on my own mill from my own trees!



A couple of the stringers got dislocated, but the wall seems to be pretty strong yet.  Not going to mess with it now.

I moved the backhoe to the front of the shop - I had some old scrape wood from building the woodshed in its frontloader.
I moved the backhoe down in front of the shop.  I had stored some scrap wood leftover from building the woodshed in the frontloader of the backhoe.  The scrap was mostly too wide to put through the chipper, so  I used the upright bandsaw to cut it into manageable strips.  Then I used the chipper on the tractor to make some more wood chips.




Mulching the grape vines


I finally had enough wood chips to mulch the grapes!  I first weed whacked around the vines and then applied the mulch.  I was careful to make sure the wood chips weren't up against the vines themselves.  I put down a fair amount of chips around the vines, but I didn't want to put down so many as to get into the way of the mower.  I think I chose a good amount.


I am hopeful that the wood chips will protect these little vines over the winter!  They are having a hard time thanks to the rust.  


It looks a bit better anyway!  

Leaf gathering

I fired up the husqvarna (just barely - it needed charging and some ether to start!) an got the leaf vacuum going.  I vacuumed up the entire "local" yard, around the paw-paw patch, the red-barn and the driveway and hazelnut area.  I didn't vacuum in the orchard, grape vines, and cherry trees; just wasn't enough leaves down there to bother.

I bent the frame of the vacuum bag trailer - I don't know when.  I think it was this year.  I had to dump the old sunflower seeds first.  

Front yard after vacuum


piling the leaves near the front gardens this time




You can see some of the frost in this picture.

No comments:

Post a Comment