Sunday, June 12, 2016

Garden Planting is DONE! (for the most part)



Planting Corn and Beans


But first, some mowing. I got to the farm and dove right into the mowing.  Well, not right into it.  I had to stop at TSC in Frederick MD to pick up a deck belt first!   Then I had to put it on.  Ugh.  Putting it on means removing the deck, taking of the belt guards and two of the tensioning pulleys.  Nonetheless, I got it on and it seems to fit ok.  I couldn't get the exact replacement part at TSC and the 2 that I ordered online (ProParts) hadn't come in yet.  I ran it a while and checked it a couple times - I don't see any fraying and it seems to mow fine, so I am happy with it.   Mowing the rest of the orchard was a bit taxing on it - I am sure!  Fortunately, the weather was great.  Everything was nice and dry.  A nice breeze was going.  Mowing orchard went quickly.  

After I had orchard mowed I jumped on planting some more corn.  This time a different variety at the opposite side of the patch.  I put 3 more rows in giving me a total of 6 rows of corn.  Probably enough for this year (I have so much left in the freezer from previous years!).  I also planted the front patch (unfenced area) with beans - Accelerate and Velour beans, from last years harvest (I saved the seed).  I planted all of the Accelerate that I had and probably 2/3rs of the Velour.  I tilled the patch again before I planted since there was a good start of weeds in it.  I did not put down any black plastic on the beans.  I put in 19 45ft rows!  Now we will see what eats them (hopefully nothing)!

Shell beans are in!  

Dog fence


I spent most of an entire day putting in a fence for the puppies!  Not much to say about this except that the dirt around the house here is very hard and full of stones!  It took a long time to dig the post holes even with the auger!  I pounded the metal stakes in by hand - no small task either!  Nonetheless, I got it all in pretty soundly - i don't think they will be knocking it down anyway!




I did need to hand dig some of the holes after the auger.  Ground is very hard!



Panorama shot!

Another panorama!

I had to move the woodpile to get this thing in where I wanted it!





No comments:

Post a Comment