Sunday, February 4, 2018

Belt grinder looking good!

Closer...


I finished the "power unit" and went ahead and started on the platen assembly.  I completed all but the very last of the platen portion of the build - the actual platen.  When I was looking at the wheels on the grinder I noticed that there where alignment issues that may impact the alignment of the platen itself, so i decided to wait until I had the wheel all aligned before finishing the platen. 

Power unit complete


Motor installed and the tracking wheel all set!

I need to put a handle on the tracking wheel-tensioner handle 

I used an piece of an old garage door spring as my tensioning spring.  Not sure its going to be enough. Can't really tell until I get a sanding belt on there.

Platen assembly (and front wheels)


I had enough metal left over (thanks to my mistake with the first tubes) to make the platen!  In fact, I think I may have enough to make a table too - but we will see.

Templates glued to metal ready to drill some holes.

But, of course, I needed to make another channel to hold the platen on the bar

I must be getting good at this! LOL

Alignment issues


I got the platen completed (except for the actual platen) and attached the front wheels.  I noticed that the wheels were askew - out of alignment with the tracking and drive wheels - about 1-2 degrees!  Somehow, when i was welding the front wheel bracket on it must have been at an angle.  I checked it ALL of the other ways - except the way that it ended up off!  Sigh.  I was looking in the directions and it may be possible to correct this - but I am not convinced.  I will have to wait  until I have some of the sanding belts (I had them shipped to the city house - they are waiting for me there!)  to get the alignment issues straightened out.  Also, I need some hardware - mostly bolts for the the wheels and some adjustment bolts and washers.  We had a snow event followed by rain/ice that kept me away from the local hardware store.  I picked up what I needed at the TSC in Mcconnellsburg PA on the way home.




The alignment is not far enough off that you can actually see it in a picture, not from this scale anyway.  But its easily off enough to throw a belt off!

You can almost see it here.  That front wheel is at an angle...





No comments:

Post a Comment