Friday, October 11, 2013

Furloughed and canning

Well the furlough kicked in Thursday (yesterday) and I have been trying to keep busy around the house.

Yesterday l prepped and canned the last of the green beans I picked last weekend.  I put them in point jars this time. I got 8 pints!

I used 6 cups of the green beans in vegetable soup (ball recipe) along with 6 cups of cubed potatoes and 8 cups tomatoes (all from our garden!).  I canned the soup in pint jars too.  Got a total of 16 pints from the recipe (8 quart).  It is delicious!

Today, I finally got the nerve up to open up the fermented pickles.  They actually fermented ok, but there was significant mold on a section of the top that got exposed above the water level.  I think they are ok.  I skimmed the mold off and the pickles taste ok.  They are not slimy.  So I went ahead and canned them.  I got 7 x 1.5 pint jars and 2 quart jars canned.  The brine is cloudy, even though I ran it through paper towel filter.   I canned them in water bath for 15 minutes, so they will not be crispy - but with the mold on top I really wanted to make sure they were safe.  They still have kind of a yeast flavor.

No comments:

Post a Comment