Sunday, July 27, 2014

Green beans, powdery mildew, ditch digging and a hawk!


Green Beans


I picked what I could of the green beans in my patch - only about 3 quarts.  Then I went to the patch I have over at mom's and picked a whole half bushel (well - a bus tray worth - its a lot).   I also picked some peaches while over at mom's.  She has several trees that came up from the pits they use to throw out!  Anyway, I took the green beans back to my farm house and started cleaning them and prepping for canning.  Long story short: I was up until 4:00 am canning 12 quarts of green beans!  I went back the next day and picked another bunch to take back to SS for processing.  The ones I took back I froze in quarts - 8 quarts!  All told I put-up 20 quarts of green beans this weekend!




Hawk


Well, I found out what was removing the bird protectors and breaking the persimmons tops out.  A Hawk!  I got a pic of him on the game camera.  I looked it up and found out he is a "red-shouldered" hawk.  A small hawk that eats small critters - voles for instance - which I think I saw him pick up!


Ditch Digging


I finally got around to working on the plow - man that was some work!  I removed one of the two plow blades.  I found that the plow framework is a bitch to work with due to its heavy nature and tendency to get out of alignment.  Anyway, I finally got the plow ready and started plowing the ditch along the driveway to the barn when the shear bolt broke!  I went back and installed 2 more before I gave up and replaced the bolt with a drill bit!  Here is what the ditch looks like after I used the frontloader to clean it up a bit:

Ready for some rain!  I am hopeful that this will keep some of the water out of my garden

Grape vine powdery mildew


I was trimming around the grapes vines and looking them over.  Most are growing nicely.

Almost to the top of the trellis!

But then I noticed that some of the vines where having some issues.  Powdery mildew!  I looked it up to be sure.  The articles that I read indicated that it can ruin fruit but that it is not fatal to otherwise healthy vines - unless they are young vines!  I looked up how to treat this problem - organic solutions exist: garden sulfur or potassium bicarbonate.   Fortunately I bought some potassium bicarb last year for treating squash leaf fungus (I never used it for the squash).  I mixed up a gallon an saturated the vines good.  It is supposed to be re-applied every week.  We will see if it works.

powdery mildew causes those brown spots on the leaves.

on the back of those leaves you can see the mildew itself - its quite thick on the leaves.

Elderberries


The elderberries are getting close to ripe enough to pick!  Unfortunately, I have noticed on the big bush that some have already ripened and been eaten off by birds!  Arggh!  I hope enough survive that I can make some jelly this year.



Sunflowers

Here are some pictures of the sunflowers!










No comments:

Post a Comment