Sunday, July 6, 2014

Enough with this rain! July 4th weekend

Got up to the farm Thursday about 2:30pm.  Rain started about 3pm.  Lasted about an hour.  dropped about 2 in!  Enough!  My poor corn and cabbage patches are sooo wet and the plants are rotting and dieing.  Not to mention that the ones that are surviving need some TLC.  They desperately need nitrogen - but I can't get in there to amend their soil.

Anyway, after things drie out I was able to mow a bit.  But first I had to do some repairs... After last weeks mower breakdowns (stripped spindle on huskee, broken deck on husq, broken deck belt on husq, 2 (actually 3) broken blades and a flat tire on the Huskee... sheesh..  I was able to repair all and even patched the tire of the UTV thats been leaking for more than a year!  

Anyway, lots of trimming - despite the water I got into the elderberry patch and cleaned it up a bit.  Only one (good sized) copperhead - whew - he avoided me, although I noticed he slithered out from an area I was just done trimming in!  Unnerving.  

Here are some pics:

Water flowing over the base of a persimmon tree.

In the persimmon tree orchard - a river ran through it.

Water flowing through the Walipini site.

I trimmed around the blueberries too.  I got a handful of ripe blueberries! Not bad for the first year.


Blueberry looks a bit odd.  I am sure it needs some kind of nutrient.

The big patch.  The squash are doing well.  I did stake some of the tomatoes.  The corn is pathetic.

I will be getting plenty of squash I think!


I actually picked several of these round zuc's



The trimmed elderberry patch.  This took almost 2 whole days!  You can see that I wasn't able to get to part of it - there was just too much water standing there.


The harvest from both PA and MD gardens.  Squash from the PA, cucs from MD.

No comments:

Post a Comment