Thursday, August 21, 2014

Peach Jam


We brought back a bunch of peaches from PA (mom's trees) last weekend.  They were little and most gnarly, but they were perfect for making jam!  I cleaned them up while Katherine went shopping for jars, pectin, and lemons.   It took a while but I finally got them all cleaned and made up my peach jam!  I have never made it before so we were at the mercy of the Ball recipe on the pectin jar.  It worked pretty well, everything got jelly-like - maybe a bit too much!

I used:

4 C crushed fresh peaches
4 C sugar
4.5 Tbls pectin (Ball)
Juice from 2 lemons (about 1/4 C)


This will make about 7 half-pints.  While the canner can hold more half-pints, but I learned last weekend that making too large a batch of jelly/jam can be problematic if you have to load many jars because it sets before you are done loading the jars and things get ugly!


Total of 32 half-pints! That's 2 gallons of peach jam!!

No comments:

Post a Comment