Thursday, August 7, 2014

canning update


Peaches


I got the remaining peaches canned this morning.  I only had 6.5 lbs so I decided to can them in 1.5 pint wide mouth jars.  The peaches were not in the best of shape so there was lots of waste.  Here is a quick pic:


Zucchini Relish

Katherine is taking on the excess zucchini's by making relish.  She is using last years recipe but cut the sugar down to 3 C.  Interesting to note that the recipe is supposed to make 7 pints.  We doubled the recipe and only got 9 pints!  The issue is that the recipe tells you to remove "excess water" from the zucchini during the process but they never say what volume of zucchini you should have after removing said water!  We got 9 and a half pints from this recipe that should have produced 14 pints.




Pickled Jalapenos

I canned some of my jalapenos later in the day.  I used the recipe from the National Center for Home Food Preservation, but I modified it a bit.

Pickled Jalapeño Rings - Modified

  • 3 pounds jalapeño peppers
  • 7½ cups vinegar (5%)
  • 1¾ cups water
  • 2½ tablespoons canning salt
I did NOT use lime!  I like the rings a bit mushy (and my experience from last year was that they don't even get that mushy - I don't know why they even bother with the pickling lime!)  Everything else is the same in the recipe and procedure.  BE CAREFUL: ALWAYS WEAR GLOVES HANDLING THESE PEPPERS!

I actually used about one and a half of the above recipe since I harvested 5 lbs jalapenos!

I used a mandolin to slice the 5lbs of peppers i picked!

TA-DA!  9 pints! (actually, 7 pints and 4 half-pints)



No comments:

Post a Comment