Friday, October 10, 2014

Applesauce


Making  Applesauce



We started in on the box of apples we got from mom's trees a couple weeks ago.  There were a lot of them going bad!  I sorted through them and did what I thought would fill a canner.  Still more need to be done soon.  Will try again tomorrow night.

7 quarts canned, 1 and a half quarts in the fridge.

These were the same type of apple, Prairie Spy, that caused me problems last time I made apple sauce.  They had too much pectin in them and burned the first time, so this time I added considerable more water to the pot before running them through the squeeze-o.  Also, I didn't put them in deep pots so that I could stir them more effectively.  The applesauce looks good!

Here is what is left in the box:


Quite a few!  I think these might completely fulfill my applesauce needs this year!  Mom has more apples, Jonathan variety, I think.  They are supposed to be good for pies!  We will probably can some pie filling and jam - and maybe a few fun things!




No comments:

Post a Comment