Wednesday, October 22, 2014

More apples and planer upgrade

Was a rainy start this past weekend,  but that was ok since I needed to install my new Shelix head cutter on my delta 22-540 planer!

Took a while to break down the planer and clean it, but it went together much faster.  I needed to get a set of clip ring pliers at the hardware store,  but I'm glad I got them there, they had a nice pair with multiple attachments!

Planer much quieter and goes through oak like butter and leaves nice smooth finish!   I  planed the paint of some pine boards mom gave to me -the planer did great!

Apple update

I went over to mom's on Sunday morning to pick up some canning jars and some apples.  I picked about 2 bushels of York  apples.  They look pretty good.  I wanted can some apple pie filling but I didn't have any clear-gel (special starch used frequently for canning).  I did process 10 pints of apple slices in syrup for just eating and making apple crisp.

Weekend Plantings

The ground was pretty wet, but I was able to plant garlic and wheat in the front patch.  I mulched the garlic with wood chips.  I put row covers over the wheat since it's late and I was afraid of freeze.  Also, so many crows around I figured they would strip it clean!

I also trimmed around the blueberries and put a bunch of wood chip mulch down for them.

Pear wine

I removed the pear pulp (must) from the fermenter and wrung it out.  The fermentation got it down to S.G. 1.010 from 1.095 so it did well this past week.  Lots of cloudiness though.  I'm thinking of adding more pectic enzyme to see if that helps.  I  racked into a new big mouth bubbler.  I saw it bubbling so I know it's still working. 

No comments:

Post a Comment