Saturday, July 4, 2015

4th of July weekend!


Friday off!

Well, I got an extra day off for the 4th (Friday) so I was able to get some lawn mowed and finally back to chipping some wood debris!  I worked on the wood debris most of Friday (I took some time to mow) - I wanted to finish it Friday, but there was a problem with some bees!





Ahh, theres the problem!  See that roundish object in the center of the picture?  Thats a hornets nest!



I eradicated the hornets (I sprayed them Friday evening and then again Saturday when I started shipping again) an finished the job!

Feels good to get that done.  I wish is was not so wet so that I could move and mill some of those logs!

Many of the little logs are just for firewood, but those big old logs may have some lumber value yet (if not, I will try to cut them into chippable sizes and chip them up too - wood chip mulch is great for most of my purposes!)

Thats a big pile of mulch!  Maybe bigger than the original pile that I had from the 2013 planting season.


You can see the fungi on the old logs - probably not much good lumber there anymore.

Tractor is in the garage and the chipper is disconnected (on the right)  Ready for the next big thing!  Which will probably be mowing the fields with the flail mower.

First harvest!


I was finally able to get into pick the peas!  Actually, the garden was really too wet to do anything; just MUD!  But the peas were past ready and I needed to spray the cabbages and stuff, so I forced my way in.  Picking the weeds was like playing in mud.  I hope this rain stuff slows a bit like it did last year.  We still have time to get a decent harvest!  We shall see.



Here they are.  That's all of them.  Actually more than I thought I would get, tbh.


Those two rows of weeds on the left?   Yeah, that's where the peas plants are/were.  I got most of the peas off the ends of the rows where the weeds hadn't totally overwhelmed the peas.

Here's a shot of the brassicas  they are fighting.  If the rain lets up they still have a chance.  In fact, the broccoli at the neat end of the rows does have little heads of broccoli starting!


The peas all shelled out.  About a quart.  Not bad.
All vacuum sealed in 1 Cup portions - 4 cups total!  Headed to the deep freeze.  First preservation of this years harvest!



Blueberries


Well, the blueberry bushes are definitely missing some nutrients.  Their leaves are red, and thats a sign they need magnesium (if I understand what I read on the internet).    I will put some epsom salts on them when it isn't raining.   Despite the bad conditions and poor growth, the plants still produced some berries!  Here they are:

There are more that aren't ripe yet.  Maybe twice this many.  Total yield will be about a cup, I estimate.

I washed and froze these.  I figure I will mix them with the strawberries and make something.  Maybe I will just eat them.  I haven't decided yet.

No comments:

Post a Comment