Friday, July 10, 2015

Pretty little newt & finally getting some old wood milled.


I was milling some of those old logs I was freeing from the brush pile last weekend when I noticed that I was out of water and about out of gas on the lumbermill.  So I head into the house, but noticed something colorful on the stairs...





I looked it up, this is called an "Eft" and are known around these parts (eastern north america)


Milling some wood - finally!


I started pulling some of that old wood left over from when the garage went in (must be 3rd year for it? - maybe 4th!)  It was/is in pretty rough shape - most will be waste at this point.  But I am getting some lumber out of it!

The 8x8 on the left is about 13ft long.  The others I think are about 10ft long.  You can see that there is some flex in this wood yet!  It's a bit wavey.  

I put this pile on the flattest and "driest" place I had outside.  I will be using this stuff for the wood shed - I think.  Maybe some for the grape arbor tops too.  So indoor curing isn't needed.

There is a 4th log on the mill right now - I got the basic cant shape but it was too dark to judge spongy wood, so I am waiting for tomorrow to make a judgement as to how to mill it.  

I did 3 logs today - including the one I used for the "sleepers" - the ones that are touching the ground there.  They are 4x4's
It's slow going with a lot of waste wood.  I also cut the stickers from some of the wasted wood.  At least I can get short sticker length pieces!


No comments:

Post a Comment