Wednesday, December 2, 2015

Pumpkin processing


Pumpkin!


Not a weekend post - just wanted to get this up before I forgot!

I processed the 3 musque de provence pumpkins by cutting them in half, pulling out the seeds and then roasting them in 350F oven for about 2 hours.  I turned oven off and left them in overnight to cool.  The next morning I took the pulp off the rind and pureed the pulp in the vitamix.


I figure I have about a quart (4 cups) in this container - maybe a bit more.  I saved 3 cups out for my "pie"!


Alternative pumpkin pie


I searched over a great many pumpkin pie recipes and pulled out what I think should be the common "core" of the pie filling:

  • 2 C pumpkin puree
  • 2 eggs
  • 1.5 tablespoons pumpkin pie spice (or .5 tsp each of cinnamon, cloves, ginger, and nutmeg)
  • 1 tsp salt (optional - but I think it helps)
  • 1/2 C sugar (or equivalent kind of sweetener)
  • 1 C milk (condensed or otherwise)
I wanted to experiment with this recipe by leaving out the milk.  I replaced the missing milk with more pumpkin puree.  so here is my recipe:

  • 3 C pumpkin puree
  • 2 eggs
  • 1.5 tablespoons pumpkin pie spice (or .5 tsp each of cinnamon, cloves, ginger, and nutmeg)
  • 1 tsp salt (optional - but I think it helps)
  • 1/2 C sugar (or equivalent kind of sweetener)
  • 1 tsp vanilla
Bake at 400F for 15-20 min then drop the temperature to 350F for 35-40 mins.  I didn't use a crust, just greased glass cookware and poured in the filling.   

Can see some cracks in it,  I think the milk might have some effect for that?  I removed it from oven, but its supposed to rest for an hour before diving in, but I ha to get to work!  I will taste it when I get home.

Looks good and smells great!  I accidently forgot the cinnamon. Oh well.  The vanilla makes it smell nice when baking!



No comments:

Post a Comment