Sunday, January 10, 2016

No farm weekend - rain and cold


Canning dried beans


Soaked some purchased dried red beans and some old adzuki beans overnight and then processed according to the NCFHP directions.  2 x 1 lb bags of dried red kidney beans yielded 10 (9?) pints of canned beans.  I have no idea how many adzuki beans we started with, but we got 6 pints of those.  Both were processed in same pressure canned.  10lbs for 75 mins.  One of the adzuki pints failed to seal.



The red beans.  I remember that I had just a few left in a partial jar, but these all look full in the picture.

Adzuki.  They were of concern since they were pretty old.  One jar didn't seal.  There was no obvious reason why.

'Bear' with me!


I traded my farm neighbor some elderberry jelly for some bear meat.  He recently shot a 395lb bear and butchered it up.  I have never tasted it before so I bartered for it!




3 lb vacuum sealed bag of bear burger!

He provided me some kind of roast meat too - I will try that next.

Bear burgers for tasting

I made a sandwich with one.  Taste was not gamy.  Not much of any taste actually.

I used the rest for spaghetti sauce.

Added 2 points of homemade pasta sauce

It was good!  But frankly, any burger would have been fine.

No comments:

Post a Comment