Wednesday, August 24, 2016

Freeze-dried potatoes, zucchini, tomatoes, etc...


Trying out the freeze drier!  


Potatoes


I cut up some of the new  - damaged potatoes and boiled them until soft.  Then i placed them on the FDer trays and dried them.  After they were dry, I used the vitamix to turn them into powder.  Note that I had used the FDer about 5 times at this point and the machine was taking longer to get down to vacuum.  I also suspected that the potatoes weren't as dry as I wanted - but they seem fine so far.  I am watching them.  I also repackaged these with O2 absorber and vacuum sealed in jars.

I left the skins on - that's why this has speck in it!

1 tray of boiled taters = about 1 pint (a little bit more)

Zucchini


I cut up the squash into cubes and blanched it for a few minutes.  Then I placed on tray and placed in FDer with the taters above.


It doesnt even look dry!


Tomatoes


I did a tray of tomatoes with the above mix since I had one tray left.

Tomatoes feel like fine styrofoam when dry!

No comments:

Post a Comment