Sunday, August 28, 2016

Onion, bean, zucchini, corn, and tomatoes - o my!



Veggie harvest continues


I put in a lot of time mowing - grass was getting a bit tall in some areas since I didn't mow everything last time (because of drought).  Nonetheless, I had to pick some veggies!

Onions


I put in a lot of work on the onions.  They were a nightmare of weeds because we just never got around to keeping them weed free. I debated with myself about using the potato plow to dig them, but decided against it.  I dug them all by hand (I used a potato digging fork to break up the ground afterwords, but wasn't really needed to pick).



Here they are - all of them!  Laid out on newspaper to cure for a week.

All told, I am guessing about 1/3rd of a bushel of onions.  These are all "stuttgart" variety.


Tomatoes


Harvested more of the volunteers from the front patch and quite a few more from the paw-paw patch. Some of the ones from the front patch were starting to go bad so I made tomato gravy with them as soon as I could.  I served the gravy over some of the new potatoes that I boiled.

Paw-paw patch tomatoes

Front patch volunteers!

Tomato gravy.

Shell Beans


We finally got to pick some of the front patch shell beans.  We discovered that a lot of the beans were not fully formed.  I suspect that they would have filled out better if the deer had not had eaten all the leaves off of them!  We only picked the "accelerate" variety this weekend.

This is off of only 4 of the 19 rows of beans in that patch!  Ugh

Squash


I discovered quite a load of squash in the far patch!  We will eat what we can and then try to freeze-dry the rest.  




Corn


We harvested the last (essentially) of the corn this weekend.  I cut down the stalks.  Some of it was pretty worm ridden.  Most of this will be freeze-dried.





No comments:

Post a Comment