Sunday, November 5, 2017

Ratatouille and locust tree deer damage

I made Ratatouille!  (kind of)


Remember those eggplant that I had no plans for?  Well, here is what I did with them.  I made 
Ratatouille.  Used all of those eggplant that I picked last weekend, some of the tomatoes, and some canned tomato sauce from last year (well, from a previous year).  I also used a jar of my home-canned salsa because I didnt have the right spices.  It was risky and almost ruined things, but it ended up turning out quite good.  Although, I doubt if anyone who has eaten Ratatouille before would recognize this as ratatouille - LOL.





This ratatouille tastes awesome over white rice!


Most nutcrackers can't crack hickory nuts! 


I learned this the hard way!  Bought these off Amazon.  Fortunately, I was able to return even after they broke. 



I actually repaired this one and broke it a second time.  I guess I will keep it now since I did get some of the nuts cracked with it.



This one, however, broke on the very first attempt!  I am not sure it wasn't actually a defective casting rather than just being overwhelmed by the hickory nuts!


Deer-tree damage


I walk the property usually when I first get to the farm.  This time I noticed something when I toured the locust tree grove.  Freaking deer!  They really hit the locust trees hard this year - maybe 15-20 trees are severely damaged. :(   The good news is that NONE of the fruit trees got scrapped up this year (so far anyway).  The tree cages seem to work! Yay









No comments:

Post a Comment