Sunday, October 29, 2017

More nuts, landscaping, and winter squash harvest!

Shelling nuts - this will take a while!

They actually have a good amount of meat per nut.  It's just taking so long.





Woooo - a whole half!  Nice!

Oh, and more nuts too!

Of course, I had to go out and pick up some more hickory and butternuts!  Ugh.





Landscape - hole-filling around the house


I discovered a DEEP hole (far deeper than I realized at first) right next to the porch I had just moved a week or so ago.  I got a couple loads of dirt from the old garage excavation pile and filled and piled up dirt high over the holes I found.

There was a DEEP hole right there in front of those onions!  


If you look at the bottom center of this picture, you will see that a chipmunk has already dugout a hole there!  The bugger!




I also lifted some of these pavers so that melting ice wouldn't make these areas slippery later in the year.

Also, I finally got around to regrading the front driveway a bit.  The gullies were getting bad from all the rains we had this year.  The water washes the gravel to down near the drainage ditch.  I use the FEL (front end-loader) to move this around and regrade and smooth.





Winter Squash  - buttercup

Just before leaving I harvested the winter squash.  Not a great load, but actually just about right for us to eat before they spoil.  These look different than I remember, but they do taste right.  I may save the seeds.





Typical buttercup end.

No comments:

Post a Comment