Sunday, February 9, 2014

New start! Seed starting shelf


Well, its that time of year to get the garden going again.

Last year I started all my seeds indoors in trays that i placed either in my bay window or on my dining room table (until it got warm enough to use my portable greenhouse).  This year my bay window is full and the dining room table is off limits.  So I needed a solution.  I was browsing my email/facebook/blog feeds and found a plan that looked simple and cheap (especially cheap if you have all the materials already - which i mostly did!).


Here's how they turned out:


Below is a shot of some of what's left of our canned goods from last season:


And finally, after putting in the lights and planting my cabbages and onions:



I won't keep the lights on the seed flats until after they come up.  I am somewhat worried that the flats aren't going to be warm enough to sprout.  I normally put these on the top of the upright freezer until they sprout.  The heat from the freezer compressor is just about perfect to create a nice warm environment in a covered flat!  We will see if these seeds sprout or rot...







2 comments:

  1. Thanks for following my blog. I tried to sign up for yours but it wouldn't let me so I'll just come by every now and then to check you out. Good luck.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ack! Thanks for the heads up! I did not know that people couldn't subscribe. When I started this blog I was planning on just recording this info for myself and my wife, so I had "sealed" it up. Then when I decided to open it up to public, I must have missed a setting! I will look it over and see what I need to do...

      Thanks!

      Delete