Sunday, February 23, 2014

Replacing an old basement door


I finally got back up to the farm this weekend!  Spent about 2 hours digging out the driveway with my frontloader.  Frontloaders really aren't great at moving snow.  Here is the result:




Once I got in, I got right to work on the door issue.   Here is the old door to a room under my front porch:





Kind of rough shape!  Since I want to use that room for a root cellar, I need to take care of this door!  So I bought some pre-hung exterior doors to replace the various doors in this house (and one for the old garage).  The problem is that the pre-hung doors assume that you have a certain size rough in size opening!  So I removed the 2x6's that were framing the rough opening in the concrete wall and replaced them with 1x6's.  BUT, even then, I found that the pre-hung unit just barely fit - but with no room for shims!  The impact, of course, is that I would not be able to adjust for fit if there were any issues with squareness or plumb.  

I got super lucky though and was able to fit the door in place without the need for the shims - it fit fairly well and the door opens and closes just fine! Whew!

Here is the end result:





I made a couple of movies too, however I had no tripod so the quality is not great.  Enjoy!


Before: 

After:  








No comments:

Post a Comment