Monday, March 16, 2015

I think Spring is here!



Pruning and spraying the fruit trees


The snow is almost entirely gone and and I was able to get out and trim the fruit trees!  Whew!  I was getting worried that the snow would run right up against the spring, but we have a few weeks of cold yet I think.  I was able to attack the "big" orchard and trim the apple, pear, peach, and plum trees!  I took the big tree protectors off and discovered many hidden ailments.  Many had some kind of powdery fungus (I think) - either that or some bug webs of some kind.  I trimmed the trees as best I could according to the articles that I read.  Apples and Pears get central leader treatment (and headed off), while the peaches get their central leaders removed (and headed off).   After I got all the trimming done I hit them all with a good dose of dormant oil.  I am hopeful that that will finish off any fungus, mildew, bugs, or whatever was attacking my trees!  Oh, and i dormant oiled the grapevines too.  Looking over that orchard, I think I will need to get even more deer pops and deer bait!

Sorry, but no pictures of the trees - they just look like sticks in the ground right now anyway!



Lathe finally moved off of the pallet!


I had the crane legs positioned a couple weeks ago, but then the snow... anyway, I found some nice 10ft + oak 2x8's and hefted a couple of them on top of the crane legs!  Not an easy job, but i got it done.  Just needed 2 - those things are strong.  Then i chained up the hoist and lifted the lathe off its pallet.   I unbolted it and then slid the pallet out from under the lathe.   Whew.  Was a mighty endeavor!

Here are some pics






Those 2x8's didn't even creak or bend at all when they came under load!

I hope thats was an OK place to attach the chains!



Ta-da!

close up of how little room I had to work with 


Right up against the edge here too!  Amazing that it was this close and that I didn't measure any of this stuff for fitting it in!

Next step is to get some electrical work done!  I need some light circuits and a heavy circuit or two for the woodworking and metal working equipment.   Anyway, the shop is starting to look less junky and more like a shop!


Canning shelf work


Well, the ground was not covered with snow, so i decided to plane some more oak boards for the shelves to my oak caning shelf.  I did up a bunch of the leftover boards from the woodshed.  I also noticed that I have a few boards in the shop under the workbench.  I might need those for the chop-saw station though...  No picture of the shelves yet, but i got a few of the huge pile of saw dust left from planing!




Locust trees and the search for grape arbor posts


I dared to take the tractor up to the upper edge of the field and clear out some fallen trees.  While I was up there I decided to take a couple of the locust trees down that where kind of in the way of where I want to plant my walnut trees.  Since I need the locust posts anyway, it was a good thing.  My chainsaw is still dull as crap, but I managed to get 2 decent size posts - and one small one.  I think I can count on 3 posts total from that work.  Was a mess to clean up in that mud!  The tractor was really making a mess!  I hope it doesn't damage the field too badly.  The ruts should back fall in I think long before they make hay there this year (if they are planning too).

No comments:

Post a Comment