Sunday, March 1, 2015

Shop work, PTO repair and finally starting to trim the fruit trees



Shop work


I finally finished moving all of the firewood from the shop to the woodshed!  This enabled me to clean up the shop and start moving the equipment to where I want it.  I still need to wire the shop for the heavy equipment and the new LED shop lights.  I will need to put in some conduit to supply the machines so moving the machines to there final locations was an important step.

All of the firewood is in the woodshed now - plenty of room for more!




Here are some pictures of the shop, sans firewood!

The wall where the firewood used to be


Still alot of cleanup left to-do.  Those maple boards must be moved out!






The lathe, repositioned and with the crane legs ready!



The lathe before re-positioning!


The PTO 


I brought the arbor press up so that I could try to put the universal joint on the PTO together.  I bought all of the parts I needed on a trip to TSC earlier this month.

I had to clamp the arbor press to the table of the milling machine and then use a cheater-bar to get the leverage i needed to press the pieces together sufficiently.  Whew.  I secured the clips on the press pieces for the universal joint and re-installed everything on the auger.  I even ran the auger to make sure it worked right (after lube, of course).  Here are some pics:

The one good thing about having this break was that I got to replace the PTO shaft fitting with this new one that presses in instead of the old one that required me to use pliers to pull it out!




Fruit tree trimming


I finally got to start trimming the cherry trees.  The cherry trees were in pretty rough shape due to disease last year.  I followed the trimming and training guidelines and was left with mostly sticks!  I took the long tube protectors off and put the spiral removable protectors on.  I took the old trimmings and dumped them far from the fruit trees so any diseases wouldn't be spread.  I also sprayed the sticks with dormant oil.  Hopefully this will let the cherry trees get a good start over the diseases they had last year.








No comments:

Post a Comment