Sunday, March 22, 2015

Odds and ends



Oak canning shelves - continued.


I pretty much spent the entire weekend working on getting the shelves made and starting to finish them with polyurethane.

But first, some SNOW!!  Ack!





It all melted by the next day afternoon - so it wasn't as bad as it looks!  Whew!

OK, on to the shelving.

I had planed a bunch of boards last weekend but after I cut them to width I discovered that I needed to plane a few more.  I found some more short boards in my old barn boards  and planed them down and cut them to width.  The next step was to start to polyurethane them.  Katherine wasn't with me this weekend so it was perfect timing to get some finishing work done (she has trouble with asthma so I don't like to subject her to hydrocarbons unduly).

Aren't these gorgeous?  

Add caption


to think these were old barn crap boards!








LOL - there are quite a few of them.
I figured out that at 2 foot by 3 foot and 9 shelves that i have 54 square feet of oak shelving in the basement drying.  This is just the first coat.  They will need a light sanding and another coat to be done.

And of course, this need to be sanded and urethaned too!
Moving the shelving frame into the basement wasn't as bad as I thought it would be.  None-the-less, I am glad its finally down in the basement were it will stay!  I really want to get this finished before the summer.  Once the summer kicks in I wont have time to mess with it and I don't want it absorbing moisture before I get it finished!

No comments:

Post a Comment