Sunday, May 10, 2015

Garden planting starts!

I had a bad gout flair last week and it was still bothering me into the weekend.   It slowed me down but I still managed to get a lot planted. 

I needed considerably more forsythia plants to cover the road bank so I went back to mom's to get some more.   While I was there I grabbed 10 more blackberry plants too.  I  now have a total of 31 blackberry plants and 53 forsythia!  I think 6 more forsythia will be all I need.  This year anyways.   I may extend them all the way out to the other side of the driveway.

Since the weather was dry I was able to get into the gardens and plant.   I peas from let weekend have come up!   No sign of kale or onions yet though.   Nor of potatoes.   I planted shell beans,  2 varieties, and green beans,  from 2013 saved seed.  I planted 4 rows of corn in front patch, the old seed.  I'm thinking I might be able to get a second crop if o plant the new short season corn early enough.
The real pain in planting is actually putting down the black plastic weed block.  I have used all (that I can reach and find) and even started using the new plastic I bought this year. I need more landscaping staples.   I ordered them Sunday I think,  they shipped yesterday,  but from CA... they might not get here in time for this weekends planting.

I also mowed the lawn and trimmed, re-set up the garden fences, added more deer pops to the electric fences and re-baited the pops. 

Castor beans planted on the far end, cucumbers near side.
Peas!
see them there?  Peas!
A panoramic view from top of orchard hill.  Can see all of orchard and vineyard and big garden
Orchard after mowing
Front patch now is fully planted.  Added corn in center 4 rows.
My new blackberries!  31 of them there.  Sorry about the telephone pole shadow.
The paw-paw patch is mostly planted now.    From the far right:  Pumpkins (1 row) , 2 rows of bush beans - accelerate?  2 more rows of bush beans (velour?) then 3 rows of green beans (from 2013 saved seed - fingers crossed!)  The final space on the left will be home to the sweet potatoes plants
Paw-paw patch from above.
Forsythia!  53 of them.  They should look fantastic along here when they grow and fill out.
I found a morel mushroom!  Damn they are hard to find!
I mowed around the spruce that I moved last week.  Here they are in panoramic view.  I really need to put up some stakes for them - they are near invisible.

No comments:

Post a Comment