Friday, May 8, 2015

More planting. Spring is here

Just posting some pics from this past weekend.   I stopped at the farm on my way back from PSU so I got a good bit of work in.  I immediately tilled my gardens and even plowed neighbors garden because I was expecting rain Thursday.   I even planted my onions and potatoes by headlights Wednesday night to be sure they were in before rain.   It didn't rain until later on Thursday though,  so I was also able to plant some peas, kale, and onion seed in the big patch.  Even put down blackplastic before the rain.

I had gout flair up and some tummy issues one day so I stayed close to house and set up the electric fences and closed up the front garden.   I was afraid that deer might get in and eat off strawberries!  I extended the blueberry electric fence to surround the new plantings.   I also extended the orchard fence around the new apples and elderberries.   On the same day I  put wood chips around the persimmons.

Another day I got up and decided to finally move the firewood out of the basement.   It took a lot more effort than I thought;  those basement stairs are steep! Also, I think the pieces of wood leaned to the larger side than the ones I had previously moved from shop.  On that same day I also decided to burn the trash and leftover scrap wood from the woodshed build.   After moving the wood I used a push broom and shovel to get up the dirt in the basement.  

On another day I went over to mom's to pick up the apple wood and fence posts, as well as some blackberry plants and forsythia plants.  I managed to get 21 blackberries and 21 forsythia!   I could use a few more of each to fill out my planting spots.  I moved the spruce trees from the front to the hill across from the sheep.   They looked rough.   The deer really worked them over last fall.   If they don't grow,  no big deal.  I have kinda lost my interest in them.  The forsythia will be much better there!

No comments:

Post a Comment