Monday, September 7, 2015

Lots of mowing and some harvest

Flail mowing and regular

I mowed all of the fields down to get rid of the tree-lings and weeds.  This will help the fields stay clear and help keep out the weed seeds that get in my gardens too!  Sorry, no pictures of the fields.    

Trimmed trees along paths and fields

I was tired of catching the tractor and UTV on the low hanging tree limbs so I finally got the chainsaw and fixed that issue!  While trimming up I happened to see these neat fruits in the pictures below.


They are fruit of the Sassafras tree!  I didn't taste them, but the web says they taste bitter and acrid.  Eat the leaves, but not the fruit!


Shell beans ready for the freezer


Finally bagged up and ready for the freezer!  Not much, I know - but I didn't have many seeds this year. Now, with these, I have enough to plant a sizable amount next year!  My biggest concern right now is if a big harvest comes in, how do I shell them!  Even these few took me about a week to shell!

"Accelerate" on top, "Velour" on the bottom

Into the deep freeze next to make sure there are no living worms and things!

Weekend harvest


Not a big harvest, but not as bad as it could have been since we did get a little rain this week.  The broccoli was good, but there was lots of worms!  I dusted with sevin after I harvest this time.  I also got a nice load of kale that I eventually braised like I did it last weekend.  Delicious.


Nice amount of brocolli.  Froze this - got a little less than 1 quart.  Lots of worms I had to remove though.


Tomatoes were good.  Not as many as I would have liked, but good none-the-less.
A nice load of tomatoes


Processed the above tomatoes into 8 and a half quarts of simple sauce.  Not bad.

I also picked the squash and eggplant.  This is pretty much it for the squash.  The squash plants are about gone now due to mildew and SVBs.  So many SVBs its ridiculous!   I might not grow any squash or pumpkins next year just to let these bugs die off a bit!  Fortunately, the eggplants are doing really well this year.  Besides what I picked below, there are many more on the plants getting bigger.  The plants still look nice.

Squash and eggplant harvest


No comments:

Post a Comment