Monday, September 28, 2015

Mr Skunk Took Care of Our Yellow-jackets!


 I was surveying the property and came across the carnage the a skunk wreaked on those freaking yellow-jackets that stung me a couple weeks ago!  He really tore into the nest!  Look at these pictures!


Bits of the nest are strewn all over the place.  It was a pretty big nest.  There are still some bees floating around there, but most of that nest is gone!

Sawmill, tree-cutting, wood-chipping


I started by taking down a bunch of dangerous trees that were dead and threatening to fall on my buildings  or me on my trails.  One tree was in surprisingly good shape so the next day I popped it on the sawmill to see if I could get something out of it.  In fact, I got two nice long 2x4's (oak).  The rest I put through the chipper.  In fact, i put all the slabs and odd pieces I had collected in the barn through the chipper.  It made quite a pile - I figure about 3 cubic yards!

Two new 2x4's on top there




Wood slabs and end pieces from sawmill were put through the chipper.  I have more to go, but this was enough to mulch 10 trees!

I also chipped up some of the debris near the grass mulch pile near the big patch.



Here is where I put the mulch.  The brighter ones are new - 10 more trees mulched.  I think I have 6 to go.

I saved the peach trees till last since they seem to be in a good location - not terribly sensitive to frost or freezing there.


Just a random shot of some deer wandering through the pecan and butternut trees.  Quite a herd growing there.  There are 6 in that herd that I have seen.  I really need to get my trees protected - they will be rutting soon I bet!

The harvest


Decent broccoli harvest.  I keep being surprised about how much these things are yielding.  I blanched and froze this.


Tomato harvest is looking rough, but I was still able to use these.



I got 6 quarts of sauce from those tomatoes!


Cabbages - these are split so I harvested to make some Cole-slaw.  Also a decent yield of eggplant.  Katherine does the eggplant up into Parmesan and freezes it in individual portions.  Makes a nice fast dinner!









No comments:

Post a Comment