Thursday, September 1, 2016

I'm a freeze-drying fiend!



Corn and Tomatoes



I did another freeze-dryer run of corn and tomatoes!   I cooked the corn on the cob, cut it off and put it on 3 of the FDer trays.  I used the 4th tray for tomatoes.


BEFORE





AFTER
(well, its all of the corn but only a few tomatoes)




I added O2 absorbers to jars and vacuum sealed them


Elderberry long term storage (LTS)


I finally got into the mylar bags and O2 absorbers that I purchased recently.  Also, with the new vacuum sealer that can handle the mylar, I attempted to move the elderberries from the 4 quart mason jars to one, one gallon mylar bag.  It worked fairly well!  I got a seal on the bag with a setting of 6 seconds on the heater for a 5mil mylar bag.  I might up this to 7 on the next run.

Mylar bags and O2 absorbers


MAKE EXTRA SURE THAT YOU SEAL THE UNUSED O2 ABSORBERS!  I wasted $13 worth of absorbers (about 70 absorbers) because I forgot! :(

O2 Absorbers


Mylar vacuum bag sealer


Vacuum sealer!

BEFORE





AFTER


Should be good for 25-30 years now!




No comments:

Post a Comment