Sunday, June 4, 2017

Cabbages, broccoli, blooming stuff


Cabbages and Broccoli planted

They are a bit rough for wear, but I really don't care how they do.  Cabbage is good when fresh or canned into sauerkraut, but how much sauerkraut can you eat?  Of course, I cold try the root cellar approach, but I will need to get moving on that project and its just not likely this year.


I actually don't know which plant is which!  I might have planted mostly cabbage or mostly broccoli!

Grapes



The grapes are blooming!  Well, they are starting to.  Lots of blossoms about to break open.  I did find quite a bit of black rot on the grape vines though.  Not surprising since its been so wet this year. I need to get out there and spray!





These are blossoms that haven't come out yet

This is black rot!  Ugh.  

On quite a few of the leaves.

This stuff can really wipe out your grapes - especially young ones like these



As if the black rot weren't bad enough, the friggen deer have been chowing down on the new grape shoots!   I really like not having the electric fence up and in my way mowing so I am looking into trying some deer repellent spray.


Here you can see where the tips of the plant have been clipped off

The deer trimmed this whole plant!

I hope these recover!

Peaches



The peaches are doing ok.  It is about time for them to start the "June Drop" though.  I am crossing my fingers that I don't loose too many!  This is the first year that I should be letting them reach maturity.





As you can see, some are dropping already!

Strawberries


Still coming in!  I am lazy and didn't take pictures of all of them.  They all look the same!  I think I got another gallon and a half this weekend.





Box Turtle


This box turtle showed up (again?) this year.  I assume its the same one we have been seeing around here, but I didn't mark it and I am no good at telling one turtle from another.




Elderberries

The elderberries are blooming!  Yay!  Oh man, where am I going to store all these things when they are ripe?  I have got to get the freeze-dryer ready!




No comments:

Post a Comment