Sunday, July 16, 2017

Beans, strawberries, apples. First elderberry picking!



English walnut - I have one!


According to the internet English walnuts shouldn't product until their 6th year.  I planted these 2 year old trees 2 years ago - so they are only 4, but I found a nut on one of them!  Cool.



I have never seen a "real" english walnut - this will be new for me.


Cabbages, broccoli, and eggplants...


Not sure how the eggplants got in there though!  I am wondering if they got the seeds mixed up?




I wasn't able to tell which plant was which when I planted them but I lucked out and planted mostly cabbages!

Corn is growing fast too

Eggplant is actually doing well.


Cabbages are doing nicely.  I have been keeping up on the sevin

Strawberries


The ever-bearing strawberries kicked in again.  We didn't get a huge amount - maybe half-gallon at most.  We have just been eating these - no processing.






This is all of the berries that we brought back this weekend.  We did eat some there though.  Notice the bramble berries?  They are coming in too!


Blueberries


The few that are on are getting ripe.  We picked a couple handfuls for eating.  More to come.

Those radishes should be harvested soon probably





Bean patch


I was finally able to get into the bean patch to run the hoe.  Its just been so wet I didn't dare get in there before now.


Greenbeans are blooming




Pinto beans are a bit sparse.  I didn't plant seed beans - just dried beans from the market.  Also, I didn't count on a river running through this patch!


The patch actually looks ok from this angle!


The "green-beans" (velour? accelerate?) are on the right - they are planted in rows that are closer together.  

First of the elderberries this season!  


Some of the elderberry plants are diseased or dying for some other reason, so I picked the berries off of them (since they ripen earlier when that happens).  I didn't think I had that many - but after I picked them I found it made quite a pile!

We took these back to the city and de-stemmed and processed them for the freeze-dryer.  They are still drying as I type this.









First apples of the season!


The pristine apples had enough ripe to pick this weekend.  I got about 15 of them I think.  I ate a couple, gave Tom one and brought a bunch into work to share (and eat).




They are a tangy apple - but juicy and sweet as well.  Best early apple that I know of.


No comments:

Post a Comment