Sunday, July 9, 2017

Garden planting finally done!


Cool - they gave me even more mulch!


This is sure saving me lots of work!  Now all I have to do is to move it to where it belongs.  Around they trees mostly.



I still need to move the new stuff up on the pile so that it "ferments" better


Grape health


There is no doubt that the new sprays (myclobutanil and manzate) are keeping the black rot and rust at bay this year.  With the weather being this wet if I didn't have these sprays these grape vines would be dead - I am sure!








Lots of grapes on these vines!


I hope the varmints don't get them before I do!

Orchard update


The orchard trees look ok.  The June drop didn't seems to drop much; most of the fruit is still intact!  I have noticed some diseased looking leaves so I think I will spray sevin and fungicide - just like the grapes.





Pear tree looking ok.  Not needing bracing. yet.



For some reason this pristine apple tree isn't needing bracing.  Apples are lower in the tree i guess.


I switched out the stakes on the pristine apple trees.  The "leaning board" idea just wasn't working.  I moved back to the tried and true tripod setup.



These are getting close to ready!




More Choke cherry/berry damage


Freaking rabbits!  I have managed to kill 4 so far.  I also took out a small groundhog nearby and a raccoon out in the sheep hollow.  Still, there is a big rabbit that I haven't been able to get in this area.  I am pretty sure hes the one doing this too.  I got a couple have-a-heart traps at TSC last week.  I am trying them out.


They just snip off the top and leave them lay!





I mowed around the choke cherries this weekend too.  I use the small - hand mower for this.

Here is one of the have-a-heart traps ready to get the buggers!


Forsythia & elderberry cleanup


I finally got around to trimming the grass away from the forsythia and elderberries.  I did find that one of the forsythia had died below the elderberries.  I am trying to keep them clear until they are big enough to overwhelm the weeds.  I still can't get into the elderberries out in the swamp.






Squash and cukes planted!


I was finally able to get into the garden and put the plastic down and plant the squash and cukes.  I planted all of the buttercup and summer squash that I had left.  I only put in a few cukes.



The corn is growing nicely.  Where it came up.  I was used up all the old seed I had laying around.



No comments:

Post a Comment