Sunday, October 1, 2017

Porch repair (reposition), honey,wine, tomato leather

Porch reposition

The kitchen porch had been pulling away and tilting away from the house ever since we bought the place.  I decided it was time to change that.  I bought a couple of 20 ton hydraulic jacks at TSC (they were on sale) and used them to push the porch back where it should be.  I got rid of the huge gap between the porch and the house and also releveled it (I left a little slope to shed water though).






There used to be over an inch gap here at the top.



Finally bought some local honey


I stopped at the place with all the hives (supers actually) showing from along the road (great cove, I think - 522?) going into McConnellsburg.   The honey is mostly Basswood.  The comb is from area local to the sales location, but the liquid honey if from further down the valley.  Tastes awesome.






Wine continues to develop


I raked the wine again (or the first time really, since I separated the skins).  I gave it a taste.  HORRIBLE!  LOL  - Ah well.  I will let it develop.  Who knows. I can always mull it or water it down or something.


I tasted a bit - this is the bit that was in the dregs.  Probably not the best part to taste...

Last of the tomatoes? Trying to make tomato leather


I don't know why, but I wanted to try to make tomato leather.  I did what is probably the final harvest of the tomatoes and saw that I had enough to warrant an attempt.  


I just cleaned and pureed the tomatoes in the vitamix, then I boiled them down for about 4-8 hours

Then I spread the mix onto parchment paper and put it in the dehydrator

After drying.  It worked!  You can actually eat  this stuff, but its really just another way of preserving tomatoes.  We have used it to thicken canned tomato sauce - it works surprisingly well.  Just throw a couple pieces into cooking sauce and it really thickens it.


The stuff is brittle and tends to break easily.  Nothing was added to it - it's just tomatoes.

More summer squash

Picked a few more.  Still seem to be coming on.  More to come?




Fall cleanup and trimming around the Osage and Gingko


Cleaned up around the osage and gingko - trimmed the trees a bit to fit into the cages better.    Replaced all of the little cages around the osage with big cages and put the little cages around the gingko. 



Trimmed around the Blackberries too




Going to have to put cages around these little cherry trees too

Gingko (row on the left) and osage (on the right) with new cages and cleaned up















No comments:

Post a Comment