Friday, June 20, 2014

Processed greens in Silver Spring


I finally got  around to processing some of the greens growing in the raised beds at my place in Silver Spring.

Turnip:


I pulled the remaining turnips and processed the greens by blanching, vacuum packing, and freezing.  I got 1 pint of turnip greens frozen.  Also, I got a handful of turnips!  I will probably roast these later - they are in the fridge in water right now.

Radishes:


I also pulled all the radishes.  They are getting too much shade I think.  The bed they are growing in is a major disappointment this year.  Nothing seems to want to grow there!  It might be a shade issue.  I got 2 pints of radish greens frozen and about 2 pints of radishes.  Radishes are in the fridge in water - I have to think of something to do with them!  I will make a couple of radish sandwiches - pumpernickel, butter and sliced radish - supposed to be good.  We will see :)

Kale:

All of the greens I processed today have been in good health, but the kale was superb!   I froze 2 pints of the greens.  The freezer is getting full!  I will have to take some of these things up to the farm deepfreeze this coming weekend.

I don't have time to process the mustard or collard greens.  Next week?



No comments:

Post a Comment