Monday, January 5, 2015

Family xmas and more woodshed and sawmill progress


Trip to the city


I revisited the city house with my van and loaded up a couple of new rolling tables for my woodwork projects.  Also, while I was there, i moved the canning shelves from the shed and into the house, after first adding some "siding" to make them more attractive and a bit safer (keeps the jars from falling of the sides).  Before I could move the canning shelves in, i had to move the old metal shelves out.  I loaded two sets of "garage type" shelving into the van.  The canning shelves are ready for finishing now.  I also bought a set of shelves at home depot.  These new shelves are sturdy and similar to the shelves that I use in the garage and shop up at the farm (can hold 4000lbs!).

Anyway, I stayed at the city house for New Years eve with Katherine and then we took off to the farm New Years day.


Burl/Curly/Wavy/Spalted maple milling!



I found the old maple log that had the burl!

Its plenty big and shows outward signs of having some interesting figure

Lots of Maple to mill - the figure wood will be first

about 13 and a half feet long!!


about 1.3 feet in diameter (DBH) - but the figure wood is much wider.


Very cool!

Lots of curly and even some birds eye!

And spalting too!







Amazing!

Some shots on the mill

this beast was heavy, but I man handled it


I finally got it all sawed up - favoring 6/4 cuts to preserve most of the wood so that whoever gets it can resaw or turn it - whatever.


 Woodshed progress




Using boards to find uniform level


OK - skipped lots of steps because I was working fast and hard to beat the snow/rain

Its rough, but hey - its a woodshed!

Starting to look like something

I actually purchased 6 sheets of 10x3 metal roofing so I am ready to go!  Just need to put some purlins on!




No comments:

Post a Comment