Monday, January 12, 2015

Woodshed construction in the cold!


Woodshed blitz!


I am hellbent on getting this woodshed up and the firewood OUT of my shop this winter!  With that goal in mind I dared to work in near 0F temps this weekend!  I didn't take as many pictures as I probably should have, but I was busy!


After adding the diagonal bracing to sides and back.   Also added the rafters! 

My book on pole-barns said that these diagonals were very important to pole buildings.  Indeed, I see many small pole buildings falling down or crooked as hell that don't have this bracing.

Pictures for the existing red-barn roof to see spacing information.

Looks like about 3 ft between rafters and 2 ft between purlins


Checking out how the edges of the roof is handled



With purlins added


Also added front and back "girts" to support the additional "center" rafters.

Whew!  With the steel roof on!

Not bad!

The roof is a little askew, but I eyeballed it since it was getting late and I wanted this up because of rain forecast tomorrow morning!




Next morning:  yep, it works!  Freezing rain outside, dry inside!


Next to add the sides and floor!

I wold like to level the floor a bit first - but the ground is frozen hard now.
With regard to the flooring plans, I have considered leveling the floor with dirt, adding stone, and using sleepers, but all of these require a somewhat stable ground, which I don't feel that I have here.  I am afraid that I will be placing in girts at the base and building the floor off of those.  Building the floor off of lower girts cuold eat up about 8"-12" of space from the ground.  Not happy about that - but right now, it looks like the best solution, given the constraints.

No comments:

Post a Comment