Sunday, January 25, 2015

Woodshed continues

Sheesh.   This is taking a long time! 


Got the floor joists milled.   I did 4 oak 2x8's then realized I needed more locust pieces. So I milled more locust 2x7's and 2x4's.  I found more locust logs in my log pile,  thanks goodness!
It took all of Friday  (after I got here, of course) and most of Saturday to mill and install the joists.  I couldn't find any joist hangers for rough lumber so I just used some odd strap like metal pieces I found at home depot.   I had to bend them myself so that took more time.   The ones that I used on the 2x4's had to be trimmed too.

Sunday morning I decided to brace the joists and also end-screwed them in with the 6 inch black lag-screws.  I finally got around to putting floorboards down Sunday afternoon.   I put them on the lower side first since the upper side partially blocks the lower floor. 

lower floor, almost complete
Doing this on diagonal to help distract eye from all the nonparallel/non-perpendicular lines in this shed!
Also, the diagonal is supposedly stronger by having a bracing action on the shed.
Upper floor base acting as a staging location for now

  

Update: Monday - SNOW

 Well. it got cold and snowy overnight.  I stayed Monday so that I could go to the Township meeting at 7:00pm to get my shed permit.  I did some work at home, but couldn't resist working on the shed some - even though it was 20F and snowing...  Anyway, I got the lower floor done and got a good start on the upper floor!  Here are some pics:

Upper floor, not quite half done

Snow makes it a bit tricky!

Finished the floors!


Weather kept me here Tuesday morning and let me finish the floors!  Whew.  Winter weather is here and I still have all that firewood in my shop!  Grrrr

I think they look pretty good!
Could sand these up and put a finish on them!  LOL
I just hope that the floors are strong enough to load with firewood!

No comments:

Post a Comment