Sunday, August 2, 2015




Castor beans are looking pretty!  Still growing but many of them have some nice blooms on.

Photo does not do justice.

I found a few pattypan squash!  I have 2 of each type of summer squash (that I am familiar with anyway).
2 pattypan, 2 crook neck (yellow), and 2 zucchini.  


Big elderberry weekend!  Picked and destemmed 5.75 gallons!
Katherine did the bulk of the destemming - thank you!

While Katherine started in on destemming the elderberries, I took off to Mom;s to get pick some peaches! I got about 1.25 bushel.  Some of them were in pretty rough shape.  

I was able to sort out the worst and can 4 quarts and one pint.  I have about a half bushel left to process yet.  Taking them back to process this week.


Picked most of the corn in the front patch this weekend!


Here is some more of it!  Despite being an off year because of the rain, the corn did quite well!
This was the least amount of corn I have planted and the yield 

All blanched and cut off the cob - ready to bag and freeze.  Ended up with 19 pints!  That means the total yield for that small  patch was 23 pints (plus probably and 3-4 pints that we ate along the way).

While Katherine was blanching and cutting the corn off the cob, I built and installed some tomato trellis!  

I hope these are good at holding up the tomatoes.  They installed fairly easily.  These were made from those "sticker strips" I made from the old oak and locust "crap" logs left over from the garage excavation.  Waste not, want not!  They just need to last the season.  Except for some screws use to attach the frame to the posts these should be easy to chip into mulch after the season is over.


No comments:

Post a Comment