Wednesday, August 26, 2015

Tomato Sauce, green beans and Eggplant


Tomato processing


Decided to try the Mrs Wages "Pasta Sauce" mix since we are so happy with the chili base mix.  I couldn't find any reference in the blog about trying the pasta mix before.

The tomatoes from last weekend harvest


Pasta Sauce


I had about 23 lbs of tomatoes from the harvest and a number of expired canned tomatoes (store bought from before when we had the garden) to use.  I decided to make the pasta sauce out of our own tomatoes.   I used the vitamix, as per-usual process, and while doing that I had an idea.  

I have been collecting the apples and pears that have been taken off my trees (pears taken early because I was afraid the weight of the fruit would break the tree down, and the apples because the freaking birds would peck them to pieces before I could get any!).  The I have been leaving the fruit out to ripen, but the damage from the various factors is not being good to them and they are spoiling faster than ripening.    I figured, since the vitamix pulverizes things so completely, why not just add those fruits to the tomato sauce for sweetness?  I mean, the recipe calls for adding sugar anyway, why not fruit?  So I tried it.  Unfortunately, the fruit wasn't too sweet so I ended up adding sugar anyway, but the fruit did extend the sauce!  You cant taste the fruit in the sauce at all.  Katherine even tried it (I didn't tell her I had added the fruit).  She commented that the sauce was a bit off; I agreed, but I think that the flavors are off simply because its a different mix than we would normally use.  It would have tasted "off" even if using only tomatoes.  Anyway, the taste is not bad, and since I am the one to use most of the pasta sauce I seasoned it to my tastes.  By using the fruit, I 1) saved the fruit from spoilage waste, and 2) extended my tomatoes - maybe important depending on the weather for the next couple of weeks (tomatoes may not be getting any more on if it stays this dry!).  

I got 10 pints of pasta  sauce canned.

The pasta sauce with apples.  Tastes fine!

Chili Sauce


I found a bunch of commercially canned tomatoes downstairs.  The cans had expired but still looked good.  So I used these cans to make my chili base sauce!  Like before, I added some fruit!  You can't tell the difference in flavor at all!    

I got 11 pints of chili base canned plus a half pint in the fridge.


Plain tomato sauce


With the remaining harvested tomatoes I just whirled the tomatoes up in the vitamix good, boiled them for 10-25 mins and then canned them in quart jars with a half-teaspoon of citric acid for safety.  One of the jars didn't seal because of a flaw in the jar lip, so I had to re-can later using 2 pint jars.

I got a total of 6 quarts of tomato sauce canned this way and a half pint that I mixed with the left-over chili base in the fridge.



Green Beans



After I canned the tomatoes I snapped the green beans I had picked last weekend.  I did the usual pressure canning process and got 4 quarts and 1 pint of green beans canned.

Hot packed, as usual.  I think I may have rushed them a bit though.  The liquid level in the jars is a bit low.  They will be fine though.


Eggplant


Katherine sliced, breaded, and baked the eggplant from last weekend.  I don't know yet if she is planning on freezing it or making another eggplant-parmesan.  Sorry, no pictures of the eggplant after processing.



Broccoli frozen



I blanched and bagged the brocoli from last weekend.  It was between 1-2 Cups.  I usd the new seal-a-meal gadget with one of the reusable bags.  It took me a while to figure out how to use it correctly, bug I finally got it bagged, vacuumed and frozen.  Slow going on the broccoli preservation, but it is adding up!



No comments:

Post a Comment