Sunday, August 16, 2015

Harvest continues. Fixing some soil issues.


Grape and blueberry soil treatment


We stopped at Southern States in Warfordsburg on the way up this time.  I got some blood meal, some iron sulfate, and some fine sulfur for dusting.

When I got to the farm I immediately placed the iron sulfate around the blueberry plants.  Then i went out to dig in the sulfur and blood meal around the grape vines.  I didn't want to do too much work in the daytime because of the heat - it was a very hot weekend!

Elderberry picking


The elderberries are almost done now.  Only got one flat full - well not even full.  Picked down to about 1 gallon.  This brings total for the year up to about 13 gallons I think.  We get about 4 lbs per gallon bag so thats 52 lbs of berries!  

Digging potatoes

Well it is my birthday weekend so why not dig taters?!   Wow, that ground out in the front patch is HARD!  Very few potatoes turned up.  I only did about half of the row because it was too hot and I was tired.   I will get the rest later.  Didn't even get enough tater to cover the bottom of a 5 gal bucket!  I guess they are all seed potatoes for next year.  I wonder how many I will get from the potatoes down at the city house!

Tomatoes

A few more tomatoes came in but still half of the production is coming from the "volunteers"!  I had enough to make another 11 pints of chili base.  A total of 10.5 quarts of tomatoes preserved this year.

Corn is DONE


No pics of it, but I cut the remaining corn stalks down.  I found a few ears that were worth eating so we had them for dinner.  Considering the small patch I think the corn did quite well this year.


Cooked up some Kale in stir fry.  was good - but still a bit tough

Made a couple blackberry pies with frozen blackberries.  

These all came off of the new elderberries!  I didn't get a pic of the total elderberry haul this weekend, but we got about a gallon more.  I think the total is now 13 gallons!

Didn't take a picture of the tomatoes I picked either, but here is apicture of the chili base I made from them.  11 pints shown with some left over.  total harvest canned now is up to 10.5 quarts of tomatoes (all as chili base).

No comments:

Post a Comment