Sunday, April 30, 2017

Elderberry jelly


Making Elderberry jelly


Weather was kind of uncooperative this weekend so I decided to do some work indoors.  I grabbed 2 gallon bags of frozen elderberries from the freezer to get ready to make some jelly!  I used the old standard recipe and made 2 batches.  The first batch made 12 half-pints and the second made 11 (although I canned one pint and 9 half-pints because I didn't have enough jars!).  Good stuff.










Old potatoes


I checked out the old potatoes downstairs and was not pleased.  They are not keep too well!  I gathered a couple handfuls up and made some fried potatoes.  I will have to go through them and see if maybe I should can some of them.




They fried up nice!

Funny how much more yellow they look because of the purple ones in there!


Tree cages and trimming new trees


I worked on putting more cages up on the new trees.  I used the remaining of one of the old rolls of fencing and another whole roll of the 3 ft fencing.  I got the new apples mostly done (all but one I think) and some of the new cherry trees.  I can't remember if I did the walnuts earlier or just this past weekend.  Its all turning into a blur!

No pictures of the cages, not terribly exciting and I forgot!


Trimming



I got around to doing some yard trimming and trimming around the old blueberries.   After trimming the blueberries I cleared around the base of the plants.  There are quite a few struggling to survive - maybe 2-3 dead.  I am thinking it might be worthwhile to put some blood meal on them to see if that helps.


I actually took this picture the weekend after I trimmed around these.

Auger Stand 


I also started work building a stand for the auger/post hole digger.  I got the base done.  I made it out of old locust fence posts.  I will try to use only locust for the project, but not sure I have enough of suitable size and quality.



No comments:

Post a Comment