Sunday, April 23, 2017

Family Easter and fruit tree planting!


Kale status update


I only have kale planted in the "city" raised bed.  It will provide plenty!   The new kale looks good so far.  The old kale is blooming and going to seed.  We will collect and use for next years kale needs!


"New" kale

"old" kale.  Very pretty!

Fruit trees planted!



I picked up the trees on Friday the 21st and actually got a lot planted that afternoon!  Well, not all fruit trees, there was a couple English walnuts in there too.   I got 15 sour cherries and 1 sweet cherry (they ran out of sour so they gave me one sweet).  I planted two of the sour cherries in the front of the house to replace the two that had died there from last years plantings.  I put the rest of the cherry trees below the hazelnuts on the other side of the stream.

I honestly forgot what I had ordered for the apple trees so I had to dig a bit more than I had anticipated!  I got 7 more honey-crisp and 4 more crab apple.  I also planted 2 apricots and 2 English walnuts.  I wedged them all in!  Whew - getting short on places to plant these trees.

I also took down the electric fence around the orchard since it was getting in the way and I don't think it provides much protection.  I will put cages around the trees for protection from the deer.

Sour cherries

Sour cherries

Replaced one dead eating apple (I don't recall what kind) with a honey-crisp and I also replaced one dead crab-apple.


I put the "extra" crab apples in the front and added the remaining 6 honey-crisp to the other side of the apples.  I also took down the electric fence since it was in the way.

Strawberries and blueberries


I also got 100 strawberries and 12 blueberries from the county.  I planted those in the front patch.  I planted the blueberries Saturday morning and just got them all in as the rain started!  The rest of Saturday we attended Easter celebration with family at mom's place  On Sunday I got up as early as I could and started in on the strawberries.  I put down the black plastic first in case rain started and made things muddy.  I usually do it in that order anyway - plastic down and then plant.  Its a good thing I started early - it rained on me a good bit as it was!  I got them all in though.  Whew.

New blueberries in back row.  New Strawberries in front.  


I got Tristar and Surecrop strawberries this time.

Tractor Supply Company


While I was down in McConnellsburg getting the trees I stopped by the Giant grocery there for some sodas.   Right next to the Giant is a new Tractor Supply Company!  Its not open yet, but soon - I think they said 3 more weeks.  Its a shame they weren't open since I needed to get more fencing for the tree cages.  I ended up going to the Everett TSC for that.  I picked up 2 50ft rolls of 3 ft and 2 50ft rolls of 4ft.  I will use the 4ft for the fence around the front garden and to replace some on the pawpaw patch garden.  The 3ft will be for tree cages.

No comments:

Post a Comment