Saturday, December 23, 2017

Apple leather and nuts

 Apple leather 


We had purchased some eating apples from costco that tasted like crap, so I decided to use them instead to make some apple leather.  The idea was to mix the new apples with some of the old canned applesauce that I had up at the farm.  I really like fruit leather in that it is convenient to take as a snack to work and greatly shrinks the space needed to preserve the fruit. 

I did a number of estimates to get an idea of the caloric value of apple leather.  My best estimate is about 83 Cal/oz.  This is a bit higher than what is referenced in some databases.  I am considering mixing the apples with pumpkin or squash to lower the calorie count but keep the flavor non-squashy!

Here are some pictures of the apple-leather process.




This leather took a while to dry.  I set it to 125F for 23 hours.  I think I added some time though.



I read this label and realized that the canned applesauce from 2014 had a batch that I had burned!  We will see how this turns out!  Hopefully it won't be too bad.  Mising weird tasting new apples with burned applesauce.  Yeah, that sounds promising!







More hickory shelling

I worked on shelling more hickory nuts while the apple-leather dehydrated.



No comments:

Post a Comment