Monday, December 25, 2017

Lumber weather treatment


Apple leather done

This all amounted to almost 3 lbs of leather - 2 lb 10 oz.  Not bad.  Space saving is remarkable!  This is equivalent to about 8 quarts of applesauce, or about 1/2 bushel of apples!




Chemical treatment trough

I desire to do a really good job at treating this wood so as not to have to replace these posts very soon.  Therefore, I decided that instead of painting the CuNap solution onto the wood posts, I would instead soak the posts.  I used some of the scrap lumber to make a wooden trough which I then lined with heavy PVC sheeting.  I used hot glue to attach the PVC to the wood.


I dry-fit a post inside to be sure that there was clearance.  I used some old antenna wire to raise and lower the post in the trough.

The trough is about 100 inches long (needed it to accommodate an 8 ft tall post).  The height of the walls and the distance between the walls is about 6 inches to allow room for a 5x5 inch post.




This shows a bit of the process I used to place a post into the trough.  I first move the post onto a couple of strips above the trough to align it with the trough.  Then i place the wires around the post.  After that, I go to one end and lift the wire and the post, then remove the wood strip and lower the post.  I repeat for the other end.  Then I add the chemical solution to fill the trough.

I bought 5 gallons of the cuNap (88%)  chemical from Poles, Inc.

In the cold, this stuff flows like molasses!  What a mess!  I mixed 1/2 gal of this compound with 4 gallons of diesel fuel to make the treatment solution.



No comments:

Post a Comment