Monday, December 11, 2017

Vacation Starts! Cleaning up the deadfall.


Vacation!

I took pretty much the rest of the month off from office work!  I have a few days scheduled for work-at-home, but otherwise I am clear!

Therefore, there will be a little different posting timescale for the next month.  


I took some of the scrap lumber and made a bunch of sticker sticks for placing in between the stacked boards.  These are the leftover scraps,


I chipped a bunch of the scrap after reducing it size so that it would fit in the chipper.  I used the upright bandsaw to do this.  This process takes some time and forces me to move the scrap wood over in front of the shop.  Not ideal.




This is a pile of chips down near the choke berry patch.  I took a lot of  the small deadfall out of the woods there and the scrap from the tree I took down near there and chipped it in place.




I decided to use the sawmill bandsaw to reduce the scrap to chipping size.  This let me run the chipper near the scrap and saved me having to move it so often.


Chipping in progress!

Still a lot of scrap there

Here is the pile of wood that I decided was not suitable for milling, as well as the sawdust and stuff I removed from the sawmill.  I will just let this mulch in place.  Sawdust doesn't make good mulch unless its decayed.



Found this deadfall tree while sawing down another piece of deadfall! This log is actually in pretty good shape.  I will see if I can get some millable logs from this,

This is what happens when you rush and don't think.  Tried to take the tree down but I put the notch in the wrong side.  

This turned out to be a bugger to bring down, totally because I didn't think this through very well.



Cleaning up some more deadfall.  I considered putting this stuff through the chipper, but didn't feel like it.

Looks in pretty good shape too!  I will see how much lumber I can get out of this!



No comments:

Post a Comment