Tuesday, March 4, 2014

Improvising pumpkin bread recipe!

Oh this could be bad ... LOL

I took our existing pumpkin bread recipe and modified it to lower the oil and sugar content and to increase the amount of pumpkin used.  I just have too much pumpkin puree in the freezer and need to USE THIS PUMPKIN BEFORE IT GOES BAD!

OK, so here is the modified recipe:

First, preheat oven to 350F.  Prep 2 small bread loaf pans (I just sprayed them with Pam, but you could just oil them).

Ingredients:

3 C Splenda (or other sweetener - orig recipe calls for sugar)
2 T oil
4 eggs
4 C pumpkin puree (This batch of puree is a bit watery so I didn't add the water the orig recipe called for.  The relative amounts of puree and water is really a judgement call.  The final batter should flow like cake batter, if that helps!)
3 1/2 C whole wheat flour (I grind my own from wheat I grind fresh from wheat.)
2 teaspoon salt
2 teaspoon baking soda
2 teaspoon baking powder (orig recipe called for 1 teaspoon, but with whole wheat flour I thought this would lighten things up)
1 teaspoon ground nutmeg
1 teaspoon ground allspice
1/2 teaspoon ground cloves

I just mixed everything together in one bowl until it looked well mixed.  Just about 1-2 mins with a big spoon.  Pour the batter into the loaf pans (just split it up evenly).  Bake for 30-40 mins.  Check by sticking it with a toothpick - toothpick should come out clean.   When done, removed from oven and let sit for about 10 mins.  Then remove from pans and let it cool.

Results:

Hmm - its been in for about an hour now.  Toothpick test still shows that its wet inside - just barley though.  Giving it another 10 mins.  It smells very good anyway!

OK.  It's out.  Still shows a slight dampness in the center by the toothpick test, but 70 mins is enough!  Letting it cool now.  Hopefully they will come out of the pans easy....

OK - omg - it worked!  Very well, I might add!  I let them cool for about 15 mins (I'm doing this as I'm working at home - so I get distracted!  Timers are a good thing!)  Then I turned them out - they came out easy.  I let them cool another 10 mins and sliced off a piece to taste.  It sliced nice and tastes great!  Here is a picture:


Again, almost no fat and no sugar!  Now, because of the splenda it does taste a bit "off" - but my wife can't have the sugar that the regular recipe calls for (and I don't need the extra calories)!



No comments:

Post a Comment