Saturday, March 29, 2014

Spring operations starting up!


Finally, the weather is starting to act like Spring!

Vegetable plants

Over the past few weeks I have been getting materials together to plant my trees, grape vines and blueberries which are due in on April 5th.  Last year I bought 139 trees through the yearly county conservation district sales event.  Last year,  I planted 22 apple trees, 4 Asian pears,  6 peaches, 12 cherry, 25 persimmon, 25 paw-paw and 25 elderberries (and 20 spruce trees).   I actually ended up planting 145 trees due to the fact that they put a few extra trees in my order!   It was a lot of work and I vowed that this year I would scale down the order a bit.

So this year, I ordered only 6 apple trees (Honeycrisp!), 3*4 grapevines (12 total), 25 more elderberries and I forget how many blueberries ( 20, I think).  So a total of 63 "tree" plantings coming up next week (well, really the week after).

I did prep one of my gardens with horse manure mulch that I had in my barn.  There is plenty of hay and straw in that barn yet that I want to move out (it's rotting and holding moisture in the barn - it needs to come out!)  Unfortunately, this year has been so snowy and wet so far I can't actually get the tractor into the gardens to work the soil yet.  I do have my seeds started and , in fact, some are ready to go out!  Here are the plants so far:

Cabbages, tomatoes, broccoli, Brussels sprouts, cauliflower, artichoke, onions and eggplants.

The Trim

Yesterday evening I trimmed the bushes around the house.  I had been putting it off the last couple of years so this year they were in horrible shape.  So basically I was forced to do a hatchet job to try to get these beasts back under control.  I had boxwood, yew, azalea and Liliac bushes that all needed cleaning up.   I missed the before pictures, but here are the after pictures:

Our red azalea

Yew, boxwood, Yew, and lilac on far right


Yew

Boxwood

Lilac

Boxwood on left, azalea in front of window.  I plan on taking this azalea and splitting it, since it has two stems coming up out of the ground.
Boxwood by the chimney

The Cuttings

I took some of the azalea cuttings and dipped them in plant hormone and potted them in hopes that roots will sprout and then I can plant these cuttings at the farm (maybe put some more here too!)    The directions on the plant hormone container say that we should see roots in 3-4 weeks.  I am going to do some cuttings of the lilac, another azalea and some forsythia today.

Our red azalea cuttings!


The soup

While I was trimming the bushes, my dear wife, Katherine, was preparing vegetables for a batch of vegetable soup.  I canned some vegetable soup based on the Ball Recipe directions last year.  I like to have this soup around when I am working on the farm so that all I have to do when I come in for a meal is grab a jar and dig in (sometimes I heat it up and add meat and seasonings - sometimes I don't!).   Here is a picture of the 15 pints we canned last night:


Since I have the pressure canner out already, I am tempted to try pressure canning some chicken today!  We will see how it goes.  I still need to chip up the trimmings from last evening and start the cuttings for the other yard plants.  Its raining now, so chipping is not high on my list...


No comments:

Post a Comment